I’m a piper and bagpipe teacher. I love helping people discover their passion for the pipes and helping them reach their goals. I love finding ways to learn faster and more efficiently, especially by combining the latest tools and online resources with the best piping traditions.
Through BagpipeLessons.com, I hope to inspire anyone that it is possible to fulfill your dream to be a piper -- regardless of your previous experience or where you live in the world.
Here’s what I’ve done over the last several years:
• In 1999, I made the decision to start teaching piping full-time. I founded BagpipeLessons.com with the goal of providing high-quality information for anyone wanting to learn the pipes.
• In 2003, I was the first to offer live online video bagpipe lessons via Skype. I was featured on the front page of the New York Times(!) on their story about the growth of online music lessons.
• I created a series of over 70 Tune Lesson Downloads, complete with sheet music, a tune recording, and a lesson recording, designed to help pipers learn tunes faster than ever before. My Learn the Pipes Video lessons have helped pipers learn effectively from day one.
• I started the world’s first online piping school in 2011, the BagpipeLessons.com Studio, with a growing community of teachers and members of all ability levels from around the world.
• I developed the popular Bagpipe Gauge, the best tool for helping pipers learn to blow their pipes strong and steady.
• I started the world’s first online bagpipe competition, World Piping & Drumming Championships, which has attracted over 1800 entries from pipers and drummers in over 20 countries on six continents.
• As a competing piper, I’ve won many top awards, including the U.S. Gold Medal for Piping (four times) and many top awards in Scotland at the Argyllshire Gathering, Northern Meeting, Cowal Highland Games, and Royal Braemar Gathering.
• I played with the world-famous Simon Fraser University Pipe Band when we won the World Pipe Band Championships three times and performed with the band at the Sydney Opera House, Glasgow Royal Concert Hall, and at New York’s Lincoln Center.
• I have a degree in Psychology from University of Puget Sound where I studied learning and the psychology of music and performance.
I love connecting with people who are passionate about their music. Email me if you have a love of learning new things or a desire to take your piping to the next level.
Aside from bagpipes, I love all kinds of music, travel, exploring the great outdoors, and spending time with my family.
P.S. I live in Seattle with my wife and our two sons.
Feb 19, 2021 0
Dec 11, 2020 0
Nov 20, 2020 0
Feb 12, 2016 0